Free Drone Use Policy Template
FlyFreely understands many organisations may be starting their drone program journey and unsure where to begin with fundamental items such as policies.
For this reason, we have developed a Free downloadable Drone Use Policy template to help provide a foundation for organisations to start and build theirs.
What is it?
A Drone Use Policy is a comprehensive framework designed for organisations to responsibly and legally use Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA).
It ensures that all RPA activities, whether conducted by employees or contractors, adhere to the strict regulations and standards set by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).
The policy covers various aspects of RPA usage, including data capture, privacy requirements, and operational guidelines.
Why is it Important?
Implementing this policy is crucial for several reasons:
- Compliance: Ensures all RPA operations are in line with Commonwealth, State, and Local laws, avoiding legal ramifications.
- Safety and Efficiency: By setting clear guidelines, it enhances the safety of operations and promotes the efficient use of RPAs in various applications like geospatial mapping, asset inspections, and environmental management.
- Innovation and Improvement: Encourages the use of the latest technology in a structured way to improve services, reduce risks, and cut costs.
How Should it be Used?
The policy should be used as a guide to:
- Define Roles and Responsibilities: Assign specific duties to various roles like Executive Sponsor, Program Manager, and Pilot to ensure smooth and compliant RPA operations.
- Understand Compliance Requirements: Familiarise with CASA regulations, especially concerning Included and Excluded RPA operations, and ensure all RPAs are registered and pilots are adequately trained.
- Operational Guidelines: Adhere to operational standards for both employees and contractors using RPAs, including record-keeping, privacy adherence, and regular policy reviews.
This template will be an essential tool for your organisation to harness the benefits of RPA technology while ensuring compliance and operational excellence.
For more information on how councils can use and manage drones (Remotely Piloted Aircraft)- click here.